Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 1 second. If not, visit
http://www.stifffamily.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pageants And Prom Queens

The post about Pageants and Prom Queens... Toddlers and Tiaras....

So this is that post. I have never seen that show, Toddlers and Tiaras. I just read an article about it though. Interesting. This will not be a post about little girls, confidence and pageants. Sorry to disappoint you.

I remember my mother telling me as a teenager that she often thought about sticking me in one of those little girl pageants. She was worried I would beat up the winner when I lost.

I come from a place where the county fair lasts at least one week. It's hot. Everyone shows up. It includes demolition derbys, a variety of foods served on sticks, horse races, tractor pulls, ferris wheels and pageants. My mom entered the county fair pageant as she was getting out of high school. She came in second place. (Forgive me. Feel free to call me Uncle Hailey. I've told this story a few too many times but I love it dearly.) My grandmother picked up her pocketbook, walked over to mother who was probably I am imagining devastated. She looked her straight in the eye and said, "It's better to be second and have everybody think you should be first than to be first and have everybody think you should be second." I love that. I hold onto to it tightly to use with my own kids.

Freedom Festivals and Independence Day Celebrations tie a nice little bow on the summer and all things that go with it. They also include pageants.

My niece won in her age group a few weeks ago. She is cute. We are proud.

That is all.

1 comment:

Cheeseboy said...

That quote is AWESOME! I'm going to write that one down.

Post a Comment