Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 1 second. If not, visit
http://www.stifffamily.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Pineapple Slaw

 Let's open this thing right by saying I am not Pioneer Woman. My pictures aren't great. I didn't take a picture of every step, but I recreated something and I feel the need to share...

So down here where it's 100 bazillion degrees at about 5 in the afternoon, I don't like turning on the oven. Problem... my grill is leaking gas. In the summer I grill everything. I cook almost all of our dinner outside. Ray fiddled once but I still can't use it. This presents a giant problem when I really don't want to cook inside.

I got home from Florida. After living on shrimp and grits, po' boys and jerk chicken for a week, eating a cold ham sandwich or a bowl of cereal didn't sound great. I'm still trying to do a high protein, lowish carb, nothing processed if I can help it diet. It's exhausting. I still had island food cravings, piano lessons cutting into dinner time and no real plan. That's when I noticed this big ugly thing. A whole pineapple that had been sitting far too long on my counter. It was on it's way to gross but so, so sweet because it wasn't quite gross yet.

I chopped it up. I chopped the whole thing up... but I only used about two thirds of it for my concoction.
 I mixed the pineapple with a prepackaged bag of slaw and three green onions that I chopped up. Cilantro might have been a nice touch but Ray isn't a huge fan and my herb garden all but burned up while I was gone. Now, that I'm thinking about it, some slivered almonds or something with more crunch might have been nice too.
For the dressing, I mixed a cup of sugar (I know. Big cheat. I was out of substitute.) with a cup of mayo. Please use mayo. I use the kind with olive oil. I don't think that matters. Miracle Whip is death to slaw. Actually, Miracle Whip could induce gagging in our house but I digress. Then 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar and two tablespoons of pineapple juice because I happened to have some.

I poured a jerk style marinate over some chicken breasts and roasted it in the oven. We had sort of Jerk Chicken, the slaw and some steamed broccoli. You should have seen Ray's face when he walked in and saw me dumping pineapple in his slaw. The real test... Hanan ate it... more than one bite. Arleigh asked for seconds. Bria slurped it up like it was spaghetti. Two days later and it's gone.

This was a nice change from the potato salad and baked beans that usually show up with all things pork here. It was also nice and cold and crisp. Tell me if you try it, but maybe only if you like it.

1 comment:

Scott and Sharon Ankerich said...

That sounds yummy~ might give a try!
Thanks!!!

Post a Comment