Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 1 second. If not, visit
http://www.stifffamily.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Death Of The Wicked.

Last night, Ray and I were working our way to bed when we heard the president would make an announcement. We're very aware of the time on the east coast. So we stayed up. Waiting. I think we both gasped when we heard that Osama Bin Laden has been killed.

I have very mixed emotions about this. I remember watching troops surround our house in Iceland as I tried to calm my nine-month old baby, my baby girl who was named after a man who studied and hunted terrorists long before most people in our country understood what a real terrorist was. As I watched a plane hit one of the twin towers, I was trying to feed Arleigh and call Ray at the same time. I knew what had happened as the broadcasters were trying to figure things out. No one else could imagine that it would happen here. I lived with my car being searched, actually combed through every time we needed to leave base. The flights back to the United States... I don't think I have to say anymore.

My husband spent time in Iraq, not Afghanistan, but still. We've lived with deployments and saying goodbye to friends and welcome home with an ever present fear for the last ten years. Ray's first deployment before Sept. 11, I worried. I worried that he could trip and get hurt on the ship. I worried about accidents. The next deployment, the worry was different. I'm thankful that he's only had one desert deployment. I pray for the families that have to live that time and time again.

Did I want the threat removed? Yes. Emphatically yes. The real truth is, Bin Laden has been in hiding, perhaps plotting, but not a real threat for a long time. We've kept him at bay while hunting him down. Do I think the world is a safer place for my children, yes and no. I'm glad this man who can plot horrific events will no longer be able to. The fact is, as a military family, we live knowing that we are targets for bad, mean wicked people. They will continue to be wicked until someone can change their hearts.

When I hear it was the navy, it's hard for my heart not to swell with pride. I wonder if it was someone Ray knows. I wonder what it would feel like to know that you stopped that evil. When I hear people shouting, "USA!" I tend to think finally. I think most people have respect for the military. Some, think  the military is an unnecessary evil. Recently Ray and I were in a meeting, it happened to be about orphan care. It was slowly becoming apparent that a majority of people in the room were pretty liberal. We were becoming mildly uncomfortable without telling the whole story, Ray leans over and says, "I wonder what some of these people would say if they found out I'm in the navy." Pretty sure a few of them would have given us at the very least a look. Anyway, all that to say, to hear people that are usually harping on the military say, "Way to go!" or chant "USA!!!" feels pretty good right now.

As a Christian, I was listening to the excitement over his death and wondering... is this how we are supposed to act? It's no wonder they hate us. I know I'm not the only one to think of this verse today...
“Do you think that I like to see wicked people die? says the Sovereign Lord. Of course not! I want them to turn from their wicked ways and live." -Ezekiel 18:23
So today, I rejoice that my God saw to it to remove this particular brand of evil from the world. I'm thankful that it makes my children a little safer while they are here. I thank Him for the men who serve God and country. I'm sad that there is one more soul clearly lost and that he may have taken others with him. 
I would love to know what everyone else thinks this morning. Clearly you aren't all military...

4 comments:

Kristie said...

I think you summed that up very nicely and i agree with your thinking on the matter. :)

Missy said...

Very well said!

Anonymous said...

My first thought was actually that my sister was making some kind of sick joke as I am in Sydney and hadn't heard any public news. Then I thought that it was shameful to be cheering that someone is dead. I hated what OBL did and considered him evil but still, to cheer when anyone dies just seems awful. I'm glad it's over. I'm proud our Navy Seals did the job. I'm proud my President made the hard decision to go ahead. He would have been in real trouble had it all not gone well. Are we safer? Probably not. Nutcases abound and terrorists still do bad stuff all the time. And on a personal level I'm wondering how this will affect US/Pakistani relations in particular. Will this put my DD in more/less/same danger when she goes off to Lahore in a few months? My mom's heart does NOT like that she is going there, but I'm proud that she has the kind of heart to want to go in service to our nation.

And for the record, there are a few real liberals in the military! It's hard being a minority most everywhere we go! 8^)
gk

Tye Tye said...

I think you probably already know my feelings on the issue. First and foremost, GO NAVY!!!

I couldn't disagree more with the statement, "The real truth is, Bin Laden has been in hiding, perhaps plotting, but not a real threat for a long time." ABSURD!!! (You know I love you.) A few months ago, we got into a foot pursuit with a triple homicide suspect from South Carolina. He ran into an abandoned house. Since he was hiding, it didn't make him less of a threat.

One thing I have learned over my career is that some people are capable of inflicting horrible, unimaginable pain and preying on other innocent people. To deny that fact is just being naive. With that said, I am a lifelong student of psychology and an experienced, certified Hostage Negotiator. Some people can't be "talked down." Unfortunately, sometimes the best solution is a well placed round. I thank GOD for the fact that he prepared our SEALs for that moment and that he granted the powers that be,the knowledge to recognize and react to that threat in the manner that it was carried out.

YES!! I rejoice in the death of this horrible excuse for a human being. I will continue to celebrate it. Whether it was one or two rounds that ripped through his face, no two bullets in history have saved more lives. GO NAVY!!!

Post a Comment