Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 1 second. If not, visit
http://www.stifffamily.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Blognonymous

I am participating in The Daily Dribbles and Domestically Challenged Blognonymous Blog Hop.  The post below is not my own post.  I'm hosting a post for someone else, and in turn, someone else is also hosting a post of mine, all anonymously.  Click through the links below to view all the bloggers and posts in Blognonymous.



The Daily Dribbles


Do You Really Ever Know Someone?

I met a sweet girl here in the blogosphere and we had an instant connection. We would email constantly and I found I really enjoyed getting to know her. We told each other about ourselves, our past, and what we hoped for our futures. We would comment on each others blogs daily and lend support and ideas. She was a really sweet girl and I was so happy to have met her.

What was even better to me was the fact that she lived in the same state I was from. While I had moved away at that point, I would go back a few times a year to visit family. When I told her this, she was so excited and said she couldn't wait to meet me. I was excited to finally be able to get to meet her too and to make a friend IRL.

When the time came that I was back home visiting, we had a spur of the moment get-together. And guess what? It was AWKWARD. So weird and awkward for me. She didn't seem herself, not at all like the girl on the computer. In turn, I think that it made it so I wasn't myself either. It was just plain weird. She hardly spoke and when she did, it was uncomfortable. I didn't know what to say. SO different than online. We had no problems communicating there. Wow, what does this say?

Well, I'm sad to report that we don't talk anymore. Things were never the same. We did communicate some for a while after that but things just slowly phased out. It bothered me for a while but I've since accepted it for what it is. We enjoyed that online communication for a while but for some reason, when we met IRL, we lost that. I don't know how and I don't know why but we did. I still think fondly of her and think sometimes that maybe we'll reconnect again but for now, I've moved on. It's all I can do.

16 comments:

Kmama said...

This makes me sad.

Meet-ups can be awkward, and I've had a few meet ups with friends from message boards, and they don't always go as planned, but we never "disappeared" from one another.

Mary said...

I had my 2nd meeting with a bloggy friend over Christmas break. I was worried that it wouldn't go well, but we really glad when it did. Wonder if it has something to do with some people not being themselves when they're writing? That is too bad.

SuperMom Blues said...

They always say not to meet your heros - wait, do blog friends count? I'd be worried about that happening if I ever met some of mine. I can say with full conviction that the bloggy me is not necessarily the real life, every day me.

Emmy said...

That would be a big let down. Maybe/hopefully she is just a little more shy IRL. I am yet to meet a blobby friend IRL yet but have many I would love to.

Amy said...

Wow this is a hard post you had to host..
I have a few friends I have met in the blogging world. I e-mail them and have even talked on the phone. I do hope to meet them some day. I think we will be okay when we do meet. Sorry to hear about this. I hope you get to talk again and maybe express your feelings and things will be okay.

Stopping by from the party..

singedwingangel said...

I have done several meet up and some have worked out great and others I was not thrilled by. I think when the safety of the computer is removed some people don't know how to act face to face..

Kristy said...

Aww, that is sad. What a let down!

Angie said...

That is very difficult but understandable. It can be so easy just typing all of our feelings away but when you meet someone you've told all this *stuff* too it could totally be awkward. Sorry it didn't work out the way you'd hoped!

Kerri said...

I'm beginning to think that ometimes people are meant to be invisible to us for reasons we may not understand. I have a terrible habit of forcing get togethers with behind the scene friends and most of the time they are just awkward. It's unfortunate and sad that it disappeared on you. :o(

Shell said...

I think it can be awkward to meet IRL...who you see on my blog is who I am. BUT...I'm quieter IRL. It takes me a while to open up. On my blog, I can think about what I want to share before I post. IRL that translates to awkward silences.

So far, I've had great experiences with the bloggers I've met IRL, but I'm sure that won't always be the case.

Mama Zen said...

This is so sad!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Very true, I've seen and heard of this before. I guess the computer lets us be more "open" and gives us a bit more courage. I hope you connect again.

The Stiffs said...

Finally playing catch up with this party. I am hoping my anonymous posters gets to read all these encouraging comments.

Emily said...

Maybe your friend is someone who does better communicating on line. I have never met any of my online friends and am curious to see what would happen if I did, or maybe I don't want to know!

Dysfunctional Mom said...

That is really a bummer. I've been very lucky; everyone I've met "IRL" From online has been exactly who they were on the computer, including my hubby.

Oka said...

That sucks, sounds to me if someone wasn't showing her true self on her blog, or not willing to show her true self off her blog.

Post a Comment