Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 1 second. If not, visit
http://www.stifffamily.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Sour Cream Pound Cake

People are coming over! It's been a while since we had guests that didn't involve family. Ray and the girls asked for a few of their favorite things for dinner tonight knowing that there are a few things that I cook only when people are coming for dinner. If you are wondering, they asked for Greek food. That means rice, greek chicken, tzatziki sauce, homemade pita bread and cucumber and chick pea salad. But what for dessert? I'm not a baker and the commissary was out of premade baklava.

I decided to surprise Ray by making a Sour Cream Pound Cake. While this is best, warm from the oven, it tastes fresh for days. I can easily make it the night before, especially if I have fruit salad or cream to serve with it. It takes a bit of time to mix up, but I put it in the oven.

Then we wait for a about an hour. It is pure torture. You can actually smell the butter, vanilla and sugar all blending together. It makes the whole house smell fabulous.

I know I need to clean my oven. I wish I was a better photographer. I wish I had time to lay out a whole post Pioneer Woman style. I don't. I have chicken to make, yogurt to mix and a whole house to clean. I don't even want to think about what I need to do in the playroom right now. Instead, I'll show you the finished product and share a recipe and a story.
The recipe came from my friend, Kristina. She got it from her great grandmother. I had it one Christmas day morning in Iceland. I wasn't happy about being away from family but I think this cake with Kristina's fruit salad recipe made it almost okay. It could have been the mimosas too, I'm not really sure.

I make this cake if we are going on a road trip and plan on staying at a friend's house. I make it as Christmas gifts. It is wonderful, though not healthy with a cup of coffee for breakfast. I'm not a sweet eater but can you tell I love this cake? Here's what you wanted... the recipe.

Great Grandma’s Sour Cream Pound Cake

(One of the keys to a good texture for this cake is to beat the batter a long time at each stage. I use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer.)

3 cups sugar

½ pound butter

6 eggs

3 cups sifted plain flour

¼ teaspoon soda

½ teaspoon salt.

8 oz. sour cream

1 tablespoon vanilla

Thoroughly cream sugar with butter. Add 1 egg at a time, mixing well between each egg. Sift flour and then measure 3 cups. Add soda and salt to flour. Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream, mixing well between each addition. Add vanilla. Mix well.


Grease 1 tube pan or 2 loaf pans with Crisco solid shortening or similar. Flour the pans. Pour batter into pan(s).


Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Check at 1 hour for tube pan or 45 minutes for loaf pans. Cake is done when sides of cake stand away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into middle of cake (approx. 1 hr. 10 min. for tube pan, 1 hr. for loaf pans).

1 comment:

Thena said...

You are so right about pound cakes. You can't get into a hurry when beating them. I have a coconut pound cake that specifically says beat sugar and crisco for 10 minutes.

Post a Comment