Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 1 second. If not, visit
http://www.stifffamily.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Political Correctness

So I run my mouth alot. Just ask my mother. She often informs me that my filter is missing. I think with age, I'm a little better. I'll pretty much let you know how I'm feeling most of the time. It's the small part of the time that eats away at me.

Do you think as a nation we are too politically correct? I know I censor some political and religious leanings on this blog to prevent certain comments or to not hurt someone. Someone pointed out to me the other day just how blessed we are to live in the United States. We are free to say whatever we want as long as it doesn't endanger someone else (or threaten the president). It was also pointed out that people like Paul and John The Baptist didn't have that blessing. Can you imagine what Paul would say here? I kind of cringe about what he might be inclined to point out in my own life.

So I was thinking about that. About choosing to speak out when I know I should. It made me jump to something else entirely. (My brain is a little funny like that. If I'm uncomfortable, I can totally do a 180 and consider anything else but that's another post.) While I'm censoring myself for the wrong reason,m there are other people who need a censor. Certain people could actually use a muzzle or a shock collar. Like John Mayer... you heard about what he said right? That boy could use a lesson in keeping his mouth shut. Does he not hear what is coming out? Where is his mother?

So, today I'm contemplating when to speak and what to say. I think my Dee-Di had the right idea. Keep your mouth shut until you know it's important. Then people will respectfully consider what you have to say. You are much more likely to say the right thing at the right time if it's prayerfully considered before you open your mouth. For me, that is easier said than done. (pun intended)

1 comment:

heidi said...

How'd I miss this post? I lack a certain filter at times, too. I just kind of blurt out what I'm thinking before I even finish thinking it.

I've been really trying to curb that since I've noticed my daughters do it too, and it's generally not flattering. Blah.

Darn these kids - always teaching me lessons and stuff.

And? I shudder to think what Paul would say to me.

Post a Comment