Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 1 second. If not, visit
http://www.stifffamily.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Running Straight To The Nuthouse


This morning while I was working out, I noticed something. No, not that I was actually up and working out, though that in and of it's self is frankly nothing short of amazing. I noticed that anyone who heard the playlist pounding out of my ipod would think I was absolutely nuts. Really. In the 45 minutes I spent on the treadmill, I listened to Stone Temple Pilots, Audio Adrenaline, Warrant, Beyonce, Pussy Cat Dolls, and the Jonas Brothers (twice!!! I know!!!) plus there were a couple of showtunes thrown in for good measure and the theme from Survivor. I always, always finish up with Goo Goo Dolls. I think Let Love In is one of the greatest songs ever.

My playlist might be a bit on the weird side, but it keeps me going when all I want to do is go back downstairs and shove a Krispy Kreme in my face. Speaking of shoving food in my face, I had a long talk with the hubbs a few nights ago. In true Brandi fashion, it was actually more, like this... I spend weeks telling Ray I want to talk about something that I know he wants to avoid then we finally start to talk. I know he's right (on some level) but I still want to be pissy so I sull up and refuse to speak. Part of our discussion eventually got around to the fact that my dad died from a heart attack at 50. There's tons that I want to do and I don't need to go down that same road. (See Ray, I was listening.) So there was that, and another incentive that made me decide that I need to do better.

The truth people is that my weight is hovering around the same weight I was toward the end of my pregnancy with Arleigh. That's pretty disgusting. I also love to travel and having a butt as big as the broad side of a barn doesn't make international flights any more comfortable for me or the people around me. There's also the fact that I'm seeing people that I haven't seen in years. This isn't how I want them to see me. I have one year until my high school reunion. Oh there's the fact that I would like to be around my girls too. The fact is, I need to get healthy so when I can, I get up and get on that treadmill around 6. That's a huge accomplishment for me. It doesn't always work out. I have children who get up TOO EARLY!!! This morning they were up at 5 which was an improvement from the 4 a.m. "Mama... are you up?" that I heard yesterday. Yes, I would prefer to jog around the beautiful trail behind my house. Unfortunately, I couldn't push a stroller with a nine year old, Ray leaves the house around 5 :30 and the police wouldn't like for me to leave a 9, 7 and 2 year old home alone. So, treadmill it is.

So I'm telling you more than I meant to, but that's okay. You'll keep me on the straight and narrow. The fact that I've confessed will always help hold me accountable the next time we take a visitor to the Dixie Cafe. Eating right in Memphis isn't easy when they serve things like fried corn on the cob. No, I didn't order it. Hanan did. Since her teeth are spread all over her mouth in odd shapes and sizes with a couple missing, eating corn that was dipped in a sweet batter and deep fried, good as it is, becomes a little difficult, leaving me with an opportunity to try a bite off the uneaten side. I must say, it was tasty. There I go again... getting off topic.

So all you runners out there... how do you do it? When do you find time? Do you run with music? What do you listen to? All you people who have lost weight, what worked for you. I'd love to hear all about it.

2 comments:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Agh...weight sucks, no two ways about it! I am a night person, very much> i often run late at night. i might start to run around 8-9 p.m. when either my husband puts the boys to bed or they are in bed. It is the only time I can find to do it, so i work with it!
I listen to a ton of sermons, and music much like yours. I lvoe to listen to books on tape as well!

The Stiffs said...

Mom, I would do the special K Challenge!

Post a Comment