Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 1 second. If not, visit
http://www.stifffamily.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, April 20, 2009

The Post Party Post

I must have lost my mind. When someone goes on deployment at our church, their LIFE Group throws them a cookout. Since Ray is the LIFE Group leader and we host every week and we have giant yard...it usually happens at our house. If I were just our group, no big deal. Why would we make it no big deal? We invite the church. Let me complicate things a bit. I have an 18 month old tornado and Ray's in Europe and the whole church of 175 people were invited to our house.

Our sermon yesterday was about Worry. It was very good. That's coming from someone who is a perpetual worrier. Robert challenged us to not worry about anything during our worship service. At some point, a noise came from the ceiling that made it seem like the roof might fall in. It didn't but God testing us with our worries was pretty funny. I'm off subject again... This whole time I was worried about the party but I would not admit that to anyone.

I now realize just how blessed I am. My friend Deborah, party planner extraordinaire came home from church with me. She set up the outside decorations while I cleaned the kitchen and bathroom. Everything was perfect. If she hadn't been here, I would have been crazy trying to get everything together.

The Wilsons brought a table that I couldn't get into my van with my kids in the car. I couldn't exactly strap one to the roof...I did briefly consider it. The Wilsons also showed up with something that had me smiling for the rest of the night. Here it is...
That's right. After more than 80 people, (Yes, 80!) I was able to put the kids in bed, let Tucker lay at my feet, start my DVR and have a Sun Drop. That was probably the best tasting one I have had in a long, long time... Thanks Carol. You'll have to let me know if you've been converted. :)

When the party was over, a few people ran off for baseball games. Who could blame them? The Cardinals were playing. Everyone else pitched in. What took 4 people and entire afternoon to put up, came down in about 15 minutes. Leftovers were wrapped and placed in my fridge. Tables, drinks and coolers were put away and I was able to relax.

Why do I invite and entire church to my house when Ray is out of town? Seems like the act of a mad woman. I do it because our church is such a blessing to us. Other than unloading and refilling a dishwasher this morning and the 50 2-liter bottles in my garage, you would never know more than 80 people trampled through last night. Well, maybe if you lookied in the playroom but it doesn't look like 80 people. I'm so thankful for our church and every member of it and all they do. We are truly blessed.

The 2 families effected by the deployment will be in our hearts. We'll help where we can and hope it goes by quickly for them. It's one of those been there done that things for me. I know how hard it can be. Keep them in your prayers.

4 comments:

The Driskells said...

THANK YOU!!! For the party and the prayers!

Tiffany @ Paging Doctor Mommy said...

Seriously, I would have a nervous breakdown if I had to host a get together for 30 people, much less 80+!

heidi said...

Oh good for YOU!!! You are a brave, brave (crazy) woman. ;-)

I've never heard of Sun Drop? Is it like..I dunno..mello yello?

Ray, Brandi and Our Girls said...

Maybe a little like Mello Yello but a little more citrus and a little more sweet and alot better.

Post a Comment