Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 1 second. If not, visit
http://www.stifffamily.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Great Tuesday

This morning was fabulous. I got up early and actually got dressed, fixed my hair and put on makeup so I could go to school with the girls. This is big stuff more me and I often drive them to school in my pajamas or sweaty workout clothes. By often I mean at least 2-3 days a week depending on my schedule. (Yes, my husband reads this and this will validate his theory that I should get up with him at 5 a.m. It's still not happening.)

Why did I try to accomplish such a feat on a Tuesday morning? Arleigh was going to be on the morning announcements. She was singing a song and making a statement about Earth Day because she's on the student council. (That is hard to imagine in the 2nd grade but she is.) As I was waiting for her to appear on the little screen, Mr. G came on to announce the winner of the first grade academic question. Imagine my shock when Hanan's name came out of his mouth! I got a two-fer! It was just what I needed this morning.

While I was walking with Hanan to pick up her award, I was thinking I might need to give a Hanan update. Remember this troubling post? I was feeling like a failure as a parent. I was not sure where to go next. You guys helped. I had comments, emails, loaned books and tons of shared ideas. Several of the ideas were things we had already tried. I'm not really sure what happened, but Hanan for the most party, is back to my sweet girl.

It's amazing to watch her start to get angry or be in a situation where she feels out of control, for the moment, she is turning herself around on her own. Ray has a very long conversation with her after that incident. We talked about the consequences of her actions. I think the turning point wasn't when she thought a toy might be taken away but when she became mature enough to see how much her actions were hurting others. The other day we were at commissary and we watched a much younger child throw a fit. Hanan looked at me very matter of factly and said, "I'm sorry Mama, I'm not doing that anymore." Now that I've told you this, I'm fully expect an onslaught on hissy fits and screaming breakdowns. That's okay. We've all found new ways to deal with it. Besides, I've moved on to Arleigh and her mouth. You can expect a post about that anyday. It's still brewing...

I have to share one more story about my sweet Hanan. Last week, before Spring Break I was in Hanan's class for her party. The week before the girls were telling us over dinner how few kids in their class had the proper supplies. I went out and bought crayons, pencils, glue and erasers and sent it in to each class with a note to the teachers to distribute the supplies. Imagine my surprise when I we started the craft and Hanan got her school box out and this is what I saw...At the beginning of the school year, Hanan couldn't close this box. It was chock full of crayons, pencils and scissors. I had to put her glue somewhere else. Hanan is one of the kids without the proper supplies. What on earth? I ask her where all her things are.

Apparently when Hanan's friends are out of something, she gives them one of hers. Mackenzie confirmed my suspicions by announcing, "Hanan likes to share!" She does. She'll give the shirt off her back to anyone who needs it. She is one sweet, sweet kid. I guess I need to send in some supplies for my own kid and double them up for sharing.

3 comments:

Domestically Disabled Girl said...

As a teacher? I will tell you they are also:
on the floor
in the garbage
in others desks
on the bottom of her desk
and finally
the crayon monster ate them.

Tiffany @ Paging Doctor Mommy said...

How awesome for you that you got a two-fer! I'm going to have to go back and read the post about the troubles... something tells me that I am in a similar situation with trying discipline Reagan as you may have been back then. Hopefully my ending will be just as great as yours has been!

Tanya said...

Sharing is a great skill! My daughter decorated her backpack with stickers and the next day they were all gone, I asked, she told me she shared them with her friends, more like donated!

Post a Comment