Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 1 second. If not, visit
http://www.stifffamily.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

In A Minute...Just In Case

I was thinking today that I am forever saying "In a minute..." to Ray and the girls. I'll find a way to get to the laundry in a minute. I'll fix a lunch for school in a minute. I'll go through the 3 tons of paperwork in your buddy folder in a minute. I'll change that diaper, grab the mail, return a phone call, respond to an email, in a minute. Eventually I"ll read a book with Bria, pick out a new memory verse, brush your hair just because. It will all happen in a minute.

Why in a minute? First because I learned not to say give me a second because my smartypants kids would demonstrate just how fast a second lasts. Then there is the fact that there is always something else pulling at me. The phone rings, the email makes that dinging sound that I just don't want to walk away from. I am the cat that curiosity killed.

Last night something else changed in a minute. A man, not much older than us, getting ready to celebrate his daughter's 18th birthday died. He knew Ray. He was working on a project with Ray. He needed a simple surgery to repair a hernia. Somewhere in getting ready to go through the surgery, they found out he had clogged arteries. Somewhere in between a heart cath and scheduling surgery, his blood pressure dropped. In a minute, the ER workers couldn't save him. In a minute a wife lost her husband. In a minute, a son and a daughter lost their father. It happened just that fast. We got the phone call. Ray opened his work email to start making appropriate contacts and their was an email from this gentlemen. It was all the folders of all the work for their project. The subject line read, "Just In Case..."

Today, instead of thinking about doing things in a minute, I'm remembering that I should do them just in case. Kisses are frequent, hugs come more often. I sit down and read a book, look at homework, pick out new outfits, talk with the girls about their day. How would I change things if I lived every day just in case? I think lots of things might shift. I'm going to have to think about that.

It's made me do even more soul searching than what I've already done over the last six months. What does God really want for our family? What are we really suppose to accomplish? It sounds downright silly, but I wish God could add me as a friend on Facebook and then actually reply to me on my wall. Heck, I'd settle for his email address. I have lots of questions that require an open ended response. I guess I'll have to leave it to prayer. This time I won't be saying "In a minute."

5 comments:

Domestically Disabled Girl said...

Isn't that the truth.. it only takes a minute. I am wishing God would email me too! Have you read the Shack? If only we could all take a trip like that!

Domestically Disabled Girl said...

Okay, I think it lost my last comment, so I'll go again...
1. Have you read The Shack? If only it could be that way for all of us.
2. Check out runmommyrun-ric.blogspot.com- she experienced the same feelings this week.
3. So true- it only takes a minute. Thanks for the reminder

Thena said...

Wow! Makes you think, don't it? I'm constantly saying in a minute. So much my eight year old counts to sixty, and tells me it's been a minute. And I now say I will be there when I get there. But as you say we never know when it will be our "Just in case". What an eye-opener?

heidi said...

That was wonderfully written and a fantastic reminder. Thank you and I'm sorry for the loss. :-(

Screamin' Mama said...

Thanks for reminding me to take a minute instead of putting it off for a minute. It's hard sometimes to just get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life.

Post a Comment